Current:Home > MarketsJohn Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs -RiskWatch
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 11:17:59
It's been the year of musical chairs in the fashion industry, and now, John Galliano is leaving his longtime home at Maison Margiela.
In an interview with Women's Wear Daily published Wednesday, Galliano confirmed his exit from the French luxury fashion house.
"As we are parting ways with this beautiful house, my heart overflows with joyous gratitude, and my soul smiles so I want to take this time to express it. I continue to atone, and I will never stop dreaming," Galliano told WWD.
He continued: "In inviting me to assume the position of artistic director in the house that Martin (Margiela) built, he gave me the greatest, most precious gift: The opportunity to once again find my creative voice when I had become voiceless."
The comments were made in reference to his infamous 2011 ouster from Christian Dior after a video surfaced of a 2011 rant at a Paris bar, where he made comments considered racist and antisemitic. That year, he was found guilty for two hate crimes. It followed a separate, similar incident at the same bar in 2010 a year earlier.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
But in 2014, Galliano made a career comeback at Margiela.
"Being brave enough to unlearn, to re-educate ourselves from the past – for it is societally learnt – to share, empathize, and practice compassion," he added.
Galliano continued, praising Margiela parent company president Renzo Russo who he said "took a risk" and gave him "a second chance," telling WWD that his hiring "told the fashion industry that it is at its best when we collectively support each other, not judge; when we accept, forgive, and help one another see the error of our ways."
Alessandro Michele named new creativedirector of Valentino after Gucci departure
Earlier this year, ex-Gucci head Alessandro Michele got back in his creative director bag, this time at Valentino, following Pier Paolo Piccioli's exit.
"Maison Valentino is honored to announce today the appointment of Alessandro Michele as Creative Director," the brand announced in a statement shared to social media at the time. "This appointment marks the beginning of a new journey to continue shining unique values of the brand, its heritage and couture codes in the world through Alessandro Michele’s unique perspective and wealth of experience."
Michele called the appointment "an incredible honor," adding, "I feel the immense joy and the huge responsibility to join a Maison de Couture that has the word 'beauty' carved on a collective story, made of distinctive elegance, refinement and extreme grace."
Chanel is also facing a shakeup as fashion onlookers await the naming of a new fashion creative director. WWD reported last month that Matthieu Blazy, the Bottega Veneta creative director, is a frontrunner for the brand's top spot.
Contributing: Brendan Morrow
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (162)
Related
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- A violent, polarized Mexico goes to the polls to choose between 2 women presidential candidates
- Why Ben Higgins Says He and Ex Fiancée Lauren Bushnell Were Like Work Associates Before Breakup
- The Cutest Corkcicle Tumblers To Keep Your Drinks Cold When It's Hot AF Outside
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- General Hospital Actor Johnny Wactor’s Friend Shares His Brave Final Moments Before Death
- West Virginia’s first ombudsman for state’s heavily burdened foster care system resigns
- Mummy's arm came off when museum mishandled body, Mexican government says
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Lego unveils 2,500-piece 'Legend of Zelda' set: 2-in-1 box available to preorder for $299
Ranking
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Why Laurel Stucky Is Coming for “Poison” Cara Maria Sorbello on The Challenge: All Stars
- 'Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door' worth the wait: What to know about new Switch game
- Building explosion kills bank employee and injures 7 others in Youngstown, Ohio
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Minnesota defeats Boston in Game 5 to capture inaugural Walter Cup, PWHL championship
- Job scams are among the riskiest. Here's how to avoid them
- VP Harris to address US Air Force Academy graduates
Recommendation
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Remains found at base of Flagstaff’s Mount Elden identified as man reported missing in 2017
Recent National Spelling Bee stars explain how the 'Bee' changed their lives
Charges against world’s top golfer Scottie Scheffler dropped after arrest outside PGA Championship
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Minnesota defeats Boston in Game 5 to capture inaugural Walter Cup, PWHL championship
Election board member in Georgia’s Fulton County abstains from certifying primary election
Best MLB stadium food: Ranking the eight top ballparks for eats in 2024