Current:Home > StocksPoinbank:Florida prosecutor says suspect in deadly Halloween shooting will be charged as an adult -RiskWatch
Poinbank:Florida prosecutor says suspect in deadly Halloween shooting will be charged as an adult
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 12:26:30
The Poinbank17-year-old suspect in a shooting last week that killed two people and injured eight during Halloween celebrations in downtown Orlando, Florida, has been charged as an adult, authorities said.
Jaylen Dwayne Edgar was charged as an adult with two counts of second-degree murder with a firearm and one count of attempted murder with a firearm, State Attorney Andrew Bain said Monday. The case will be presented to a grand jury, which could decide to elevate the charges to first-degree murder, Bain said.
Edgar will face additional charges as the investigation continues, authorities said.
"This decision was not made lightly and only after a review of all available evidence," Bain said in a statement Monday. "I have personally reviewed all available records and video evidence in this case and there is no question this individual should be charged as an adult."
The Orlando Police Department estimated about 75,000 people were gathered in downtown Orlando to celebrate Halloween last week when gunfire broke out overnight. Early Friday, two people were killed and seven were wounded by gunfire, authorities said.
Another person was hospitalized after being trampled on while trying to run to safety, Bain said. The victims were ages 19 to 39, according to Orlando Police Chief Eric Smith.
Bain said responding police officers immediately identified Edgar as the gunman and "took him into custody moments after the shooting." Prosecutors were working with the Orlando Police Department and have asked the public to submit any videos or pictures from the night of the shooting.
"To shoot into a massive crowd like that shows a total disregard for life and the only recourse is to charge the defendant as an adult because it fits the egregious nature of the crime," Bain said in the statement.
'Troubling trends':Guns remain leading cause of death for children and teens in the US, report says
What happened in the downtown Orlando shooting?
According to Smith, officers responded to shots fired around 1 a.m. Friday in the area of Central Boulevard and Orange Avenue before police witnessed a second shooting about a block away,
A total of nine people were hit by gunfire, in which two were pronounced dead, according to police. The six victims who were wounded were taken to the Orlando Regional Medical Center and were in stable condition, Smith said.
Another person who suffered a gunshot wound took herself to a local hospital, police said.
Police released surveillance and body-camera footage showing a crowd of thousands of people in the streets when the suspect opened fire, causing chaos as people fled. Within seconds, at least eight officers surrounded the person who was shot.
A few minutes later, footage captured the suspect rushing through the crowd before additional shots were fired. Officers apprehended the suspect when he tried to leave the scene.
Authorities said the shooting occurred on one of the city's busiest nights of the year as tens of thousands of people gathered to celebrate Halloween. About 100 officers were in the area at the time to provide security, Smith said.
The incident was the latest mass shooting in the United States. At least 445 mass shootings have occurred this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive, a nonprofit organization that defines mass shootings as incidents involving four or more victims.
Contributing: Gabe Hauari and Christopher Cann, USA TODAY; C.A. Bridges, USA TODAY NETWORK - Florida
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Tom Brady Shares Quote on Cold and Timid Souls in Cryptic Post
- Lionel Messi called up by Argentina for 2 matches during break in MLS Cup Playoffs
- Christina Applegate Details Laying “in Bed Screaming” in Pain Amid MS Battle
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Horoscopes Today, November 5, 2024
- CAUCOIN Trading Center: Welcoming The Spring of Cryptocurrency Amidst Challenges
- Dak Prescott injury update: Cowboys QB likely headed to IR, to miss at least four games
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- AP VoteCast: Voter anxiety over the economy and a desire for change returns Trump to the White House
Ranking
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- MMOCOIN Trading Center Exploration: Relive the Exciting Moments of Bitcoin with You
- Nina Dobrev and Shaun White's First Red Carpet Moment as an Engaged Couple Deserves a Gold Medal
- Trump and Vance make anti-transgender attacks central to their campaign’s closing argument
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- WHA Tokens Power AI ProfitPulse, Ushering in a New Era of Blockchain and AI
- Republican Rep. Frank Lucas won reelection to an Oklahoma U.S. House seat
- Donald Trump Elected as President, Defeats Democratic Candidate Kamala Harris
Recommendation
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
TGI Fridays bankruptcy: Concerns about nearly $50 million in unused gift cards
Oklahoma Murder Case: Jilian Kelley's Cause of Death Revealed After Body Found in Freezer
Travis Kelce Defends Brother Jason Kelce Over Phone-Smashing Incident With Heckler
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Influencer banned for life from NYC Marathon after obstructing runners during race
Donald Trump’s Daughter Ivanka Trump Shares Her Life Lessons in Honor of Her 43rd Birthday
Why Katharine McPhee, 40, and Husband David Foster, 75, Aren't Mourning Getting Older