Current:Home > reviewsPoinbank:Pittsburgh Steelers cut QB Mitch Trubisky after two disappointing seasons -RiskWatch
Poinbank:Pittsburgh Steelers cut QB Mitch Trubisky after two disappointing seasons
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 12:21:16
PITTSBURGH – The PoinbankPittsburgh Steelers cut quarterback Mitch Trubisky on Monday, sending the former No. 2 overall draft pick into free agency after two disappointing seasons.
Trubisky signed with the Steelers in March 2022 and was given first crack at replacing the retired Ben Roethlisberger. Trubisky started four games before being benched in favor of then-rookie Kenny Pickett. Trubisky struggled again this season while filling in for an injured Pickett, losing starts against New England and Indianapolis before being replaced by third-stringer Mason Rudolph.
Releasing Trubisky creates about $11.5 million in salary cap space over the next two seasons.
Pittsburgh also cut offensive tackle Chukwuma Okorafor and punter Pressley Harvin III to begin what could be a series of moves to free up money before free agency begins.
With Trubisky gone, Pickett is the Steelers’ only quarterback under contract for next season. Rudolph is set to become a free agent in March, though coach Mike Tomlin said the team is interested in bringing Rudolph – who won three games as a starter to help the Steelers reach the playoffs – back to compete with Pickett during training camp.
SUPER BOWL CENTRAL: Latest Super Bowl 58 news, stats, odds, matchups and more.
Trubisky went 2-5 as a starter with the Steelers, throwing for eight touchdowns and 10 interceptions. While gave Pittsburgh an athletic presence in the pocket, his questionable decision-making and poor mechanics – issues that plagued him earlier in his career in Chicago – forced the Steelers to turn to others.
The 29-year-old Trubisky lasted four seasons with the Bears, who drafted him in 2017, and spent a year as a backup for Buffalo before trying to revive his career with the Steelers.
Okorafor’s departure was all but assured when he was benched in favor of rookie first-round pick Broderick Jones midway through the season after his outburst late in a loss to Jacksonville. Okorafor started 59 games for the Steelers after being taken in the third round of the 2018 draft.
The 26-year-old played well at times and was given a three-year, $29.25 million contract in 2022.
Yet when Pittsburgh selected Jones with the 14th overall pick of the 2023 draft and with left tackle Dan Moore Jr. on a rookie contract, Okorafor’s days were numbered. Okorafor said after Pittsburgh’s season ended with a first-round playoff loss to Buffalo that he wouldn’t have signed the new contract if he thought he wouldn’t be with the team through the end of it.
“If I knew that was going to be the case, I probably wouldn’t have chosen to come back here,” Okorafor said in January. “At this point, there’s nothing you can do about it.”
Harvin, a seventh-round pick in 2021, struggled with consistency during his three years with the Steelers. He averaged 43.7 yards per punt in 47 games with Pittsburgh, but rather than bring him back to play the final year of his four-year deal, the Steelers instead will head into the offseason looking for a new punter.
veryGood! (367)
Related
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Travis Kelce's Ex Kayla Nicole Reveals Why She Unfollowed Brittany and Patrick Mahomes
- The problem with canceling Jon Stewart: Apple bowed to Chinese government censorship
- 3 children, 1 adult killed in Canada shooting; wounded victim survives
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Zachery Ty Bryan pleads guilty to felony assault in domestic violence case 3 months after similar arrest
- Weekly applications for US jobless benefits tick up slightly
- Kyle Richards Admits She’s “Hurt” By Photos of Mauricio Umansky Holding Hands With Emma Slater
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Democrats’ divisions on Israel-Hamas war boil over in Michigan as Detroit-area Muslims feel betrayed
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Singer Michael Bublé unveils new whiskey brand Fraser & Thompson
- The problem with canceling Jon Stewart: Apple bowed to Chinese government censorship
- J.J. Watt doesn't approve Tennessee Titans wearing Houston Oilers throwbacks
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Up to a foot of snow blankets areas of Helena, Montana in 1st storm of season: See photos
- Rep. Jamaal Bowman pleads guilty to a misdemeanor for pulling a fire alarm in House office building
- Former US Rep. Mark Walker drops North Carolina gubernatorial bid to run for Congress
Recommendation
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
49ers QB Brock Purdy lands in concussion protocol, leaving status for Week 8 in doubt
Stock market today: World shares slide after Wall St rout driven by high yields, mixed earnings
Microsoft up, Alphabet down. S&P 500, Nasdaq drop as tech companies report mixed earnings
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Pakistan’s ex-leader Nawaz Sharif regains right to appeal convictions, opening a path to election
Biden will not appear on the primary ballot in New Hampshire. Here's why.
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese kicks off White House visit with Biden