Current:Home > News‘Venom 3’ tops box office again, while Tom Hanks film struggles -RiskWatch
‘Venom 3’ tops box office again, while Tom Hanks film struggles
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 16:22:10
“Venom: The Last Dance” enjoyed another weekend at the top of the box office. The Sony release starring Tom Hardy added $26.1 million in ticket sales, according to studio estimates Sunday.
It was a relatively quiet weekend for North American movie theaters leading up to the presidential election. Charts were dominated by big studio holdovers, like “Venom 3,” “The Wild Robot” and “Smile 2,” while audiences roundly rejected the Tom Hanks, Robin Wright and Robert Zemeckis reunion “Here.” Thirty years after “Forrest Gump,” “Here” opened to only $5 million from 2,647 locations.
“Venom 3” only fell 49% in its second weekend, which is a notably small drop for a superhero film, though it didn’t exactly open like one either. In two weeks, the movie has made over $90 million domestically; The first two opened to over $80 million. Globally, the picture is brighter given that it has already crossed the $300 million threshold.
Meanwhile, Universal and Illumination’s “The Wild Robot” continues to attract moviegoers even six weeks in (and when it’s available by video on demand), placing second with $7.6 million. That’s up 11% from last weekend. The animated charmer has made over $121 million in North America and $269 million worldwide.
“‘The Wild Robot’ has quietly been this absolute juggernaut for the fall season,” said Paul Dergarabedian, the senior media analyst for Comscore. “For that film to see an increase after six weeks is astounding.”
“Smile 2” landed in third place with $6.8 million, helping to push its worldwide total to $109.7 million.
The time-hopping “Here,” a graphic novel that was adapted by “Forrest Gump” screenwriter Eric Roth, was financed by Miramax and distributed by Sony’s TriStar. With a fixed position camera, it takes audiences through the years in one living room. Critics were not on board: In aggregate it has a lousy 36% on Rotten Tomatoes.
“It was a slow weekend anyway, but it didn’t resonate in a way that many thought it might,” Dergarabedian said. “There are a lot of films out there for the audience that ‘Here’ was chasing.”
Despite playing in almost 1,000 more locations, “Here” came in behind Focus Features’ papal thriller “Conclave,” which earned $5.3 million. Playing in 1,796 theaters, “Conclave” dropped only 20% from its debut last weekend and has made $15.2 million so far. Two Indian films also cracked the top 10 in their debuts, “Bhool Bhulaiyaa 3” and “Singham Again.”
Overall box office continues to lag behind 2023 by almost 12%. But holiday moviegoing will likely give the industry an end-of-year boost with titles like “Gladiator II” and “Wicked” on the way.
“In a couple of weeks, it’ll get a lot more competitive,” Dergarabedian said.
Jesse Eisenberg’s film “A Real Pain,” a comedic drama about cousins on a Holocaust tour in Poland, launched in four theaters this weekend in New York and Los Angeles. It made an estimated $240,000, or $60,000 per screen, which is among the top three highest per theater averages of the year. Searchlight Pictures will be expanding the well-reviewed film nationwide in the coming weeks, going wide on Nov. 15 to over 800 theaters.
Box office charts don’t always paint a full picture of the moviegoing landscape, however. This weekend several relatively high-profile films playing in theaters did not report full grosses for various reasons, including the Clint Eastwood film “Juror #2,” Steve McQueen’s WWII film “Blitz” and the Cannes darling “Emilia Pérez.” Netflix, which is handling “Emilia Pérez,” never reports box office. Apple Original Films is following suit with “Blitz,” a likely awards contender, which is in theaters before hitting Apple TV+ on Nov. 22.
“Juror No. 2” is a Warner Bros. release, and a well-reviewed one at that. The film directed by Eastwood stars Nicholas Hoult as a juror on a murder case who faces a big moral dilemma. Domestic ticket sales were withheld. The studio did say that it earned $5 million from international showings, where it played on 1,348 screens.
Even major studios withhold box office numbers occasionally. Earlier this year, Disney did not report on the Daisy Ridley movie “Young Woman and the Sea.” Results were most notably withheld during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“It’s really up to the distributors,” Dergarabedian said. “Often times the reason that certain movies may not be reported is that there’s a chance that the quality of the movie will be conflated with the box office number.”
Final domestic figures will be released Monday. Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Comscore, were:
1. “Venom: The Last Dance,” $26.1 million.
2. “The Wild Robot,” $7.6 million.
3. “Smile 2,” $6.8 million.
4. “Conclave,” $5.3 million.
5. “Here,” $5 million.
6. “We Live In Time,” $3.5 million.
7. “Terrifier 3,” $3.4 million.
8. “Singham Again,” $2.1 million.
9. “Beetlejuice Beetlejuice,” $2.1 million.
10. “Bhool Bhulaiyaa 3,” $2.1 million.___This story has been corrected to reflect that the seventh film in the top 10 was “Terrifier 3,” not “Terrifier 2.”
veryGood! (27194)
Related
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Nicaragua releases 12 Catholic priests and sends them to Rome following agreement with the Vatican
- Georgia bodycam video released in fatal police shooting of exonerated man
- Deshaun Watson 'can't put a timeline on' return as Browns QB misses another practice
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Philadelphia Eagles sign seven-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Julio Jones
- US-Russian editor detained and charged as foreign agent in Russia, news outlet says
- Man charged with bringing gun to Wisconsin Capitol arrested again for concealed carry violation
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Lionel Messi earns $20.4 million under contract with Major League Soccer’s Inter Miami
Ranking
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Former Wisconsin Supreme Court justice fights order to appear in court over impeachment advice
- Press freedom group says Taliban court has freed a French-Afghan journalist held for 284 days
- Protesters in Lebanon decrying Gaza hospital blast clash with security forces near U.S. Embassy
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Hitting the snooze button won't hurt your health, new sleep research finds
- Nearly 200 bodies removed from Colorado funeral home accused of improperly storing bodies
- Mexican court employees call 5-day strike to protest proposed funding cuts
Recommendation
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
Joran van der Sloot’s confession in Natalee Holloway case provides long-sought answers, mother says
Nicaragua releases 12 Catholic priests and sends them to Rome following agreement with the Vatican
Prosecutors won’t charge ex-UFC champ Conor McGregor with sexual assault after NBA Finals incident
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
Chipotle's Halloween Boorito deal: No costume, later hours and free hot sauce
Pakistan’s ex-leader Nawaz Sharif seeks protection from arrest ahead of return from voluntary exile
South Texas police officer was fatally shot during a pursuit of 2 men, police say