Current:Home > InvestJudge weighs the merits of a lawsuit alleging ‘Real Housewives’ creators abused a cast member -RiskWatch
Judge weighs the merits of a lawsuit alleging ‘Real Housewives’ creators abused a cast member
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 12:54:35
NEW YORK (AP) — The lawyer for a former cast member of the “Real Housewives of New York” told a federal judge Thursday that the First Amendment cannot shield the show’s creators from a lawsuit alleging that the show’s participants were subjected to a “rotted workplace culture.”
Attorney Sarah Matz said the lawsuit brought by Leah McSweeney earlier this year should advance to the stage where evidence can be gathered for trial.
Adam Levin, a lawyer for defendants including entertainer Andy Cohen, one of the show’s producers, and the Bravo channel, told the judge that the lawsuit’s allegations were protected by the First Amendment and that it should be dismissed at a stage in which the judge is required to assume the allegations are true.
The judge did not immediately rule on the future of the lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages for mental, emotional, physical pain along with impairment of life’s joys and lost future earnings.
The lawsuit filed in Manhattan federal court alleges that McSweeney, who suffers from alcoholism, was pressured to drink booze on the show and was retaliated against when she wanted to stay sober or was denied reasonable accommodations to aid her efforts at sobriety.
It also alleges that the defendants “employed psychological warfare intentionally weaponized to break Ms. McSweeney’s psyche,” particularly when she was intimidated and prevented from visiting her dying grandmother through threats to cut her pay or fire her if she left the filming location.
“They knew she was trying to be sober,” Matz told the judge. “The show is not called the ‘Drunk Housewives of New York City.’”
The judge, who said he had never seen the show, asked each side numerous questions and seemed inclined to, at a minimum, strike some allegations from the lawsuit that pertained to events on camera.
Levin told him the lawsuit should be tossed in its entirety. He said ruling in favor of the claims made in McSweeney’s lawsuit “would kill” some television and Broadway stage shows if the First Amendment did not protect the producers of shows.
Particularly when it comes to a reality television show, the cast member becomes the message of the show and “you can’t separate the person from the speech,” Levin said.
“What are the limits a director can do to induce the behavior the director wants?” the judge asked as he questioned whether a director could demand that show participants not sleep for two days before filming or subject themselves to a physical assault just before they go on camera.
Levin said there were limits to First Amendment protection for the creators of a communicative show, but he said they were narrow in scope. McSweeney’s lawsuit, he said, did not fall within the narrow exceptions, such as when a producer might commit a criminal felony offense during the production of a show.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Tennessee GOP senators OK criminalizing helping minors get transgender care, mimicking abortion bill
- Prosecutor to decide if Georgia lieutenant governor should be charged in election meddling case
- An ambitious plan to build new housing continues to delay New York’s state budget
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Former NBA guard Ben McLemore arrested, faces rape charge
- What to know about Elon Musk’s ‘free speech’ feud with a Brazilian judge
- Powerball winning numbers for April 10 drawing: Did anyone win $31 million jackpot?
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Biden calls Netanyahu's handling of Israel-Hamas war a mistake, says I don't agree with his approach
Ranking
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Cannes 2024 to feature Donald Trump drama, Francis Ford Coppola's 'Megalopolis' and more
- The Rulebreaker: The new biography of legendary journalist Barbara Walters | The Excerpt
- Kevin Costner makes surprising 'Yellowstone' revelation after drama-filled exit
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Kansas City Chiefs’ Rashee Rice surrenders to police on assault charge after high-speed crash
- A piece of 1940s-era aircraft just washed up on the Cape Cod shore
- Maine shooter’s commanding Army officer says he had limited oversight of the gunman
Recommendation
Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
Kansas City Chiefs’ Rashee Rice surrenders to police on assault charge after high-speed crash
Legendary athlete, actor and millionaire: O.J. Simpson’s murder trial lost him the American dream
Ron Goldman's Dad Fred Speaks Out After O.J. Simpson's Death
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
20 years later, Abu Ghraib detainees get their day in US court
Another roadblock to convincing Americans to buy an EV: plunging resale values
Video shows rare 'species of concern' appear in West Virginia forest