Current:Home > MarketsUN says up to 300,000 Sudanese fled their homes after a notorious group seized their safe haven -RiskWatch
UN says up to 300,000 Sudanese fled their homes after a notorious group seized their safe haven
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 12:29:07
CAIRO (AP) — Fighting between Sudan’s military and a notorious paramilitary group forced up to 300,000 people to flee their homes in a province that had been a safe haven for families displaced by the devastating conflict in the northeastern African country, the U.N. said Thursday.
The fighting erupted in the city of Wad Medani, the provincial capital of Jazeera province, after the Rapid Support Forces attacked the city earlier this month. The RSF said that it took over Wad Medani earlier this week, and the military said that its troops withdrew from the city, and an investigation was opened.
Sudan’s war began in mid-April after months of tensions between military chief Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan and RSF commander Gen. Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo. Both generals led a military coup in October 2021 that derailed Sudan’s short-lived transition to democracy following a popular uprising that forced the removal of President Omar al-Bashir in April 2019.
The U.N. agency International Organization for Migration said that between 250,000 and 300,000 people fled the province — many reportedly on foot — to safer areas in the provinces of al-Qadarif, Sinnar and the White Nile. Some sheltered in camps for displaced people and many sought shelter in local communities, it said.
Jazeera, Sudan’s breadbasket, was home to about 6 million Sudanese. Since the war, about 500,000 displaced fled to the province, mostly from the capital, Khartoum, which has been the center of fighting, according to the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Medani, which is about 100 kilometers (60 miles) southeast of Khartoum, had hosted more than 86,000 of the displaced, OCHA said.
The World Food Program announced Wednesday that it has temporarily halted food assistance in some parts of Jazeera, in what it described a “major setback” to humanitarian efforts in the province.
The U.N. food agency said that it had provided assistance to 800,000 people in the province, including many families that fled the fighting in Khartoum.
The conflict in Sudan has wrecked the country and killed up to 9,000 people as of October, according to the United Nations. However, activists and doctors’ groups say the real toll is far higher.
More than 7 million people were forced out of their homes, including more than 1.5 million who have sought refuge in neighboring countries, according to the U.N. figures. Chad received more than 500,000 refugees, mostly from Sudan’s western region of Darfur, where the RSF conquered much of its areas.
The fighting in Wad Medani forced many aid groups, including the International Committee of the Red Cross, to evacuate its staff from the city, which was a center of the humanitarian operations in the country.
The RSF takeover prompted fears among Wad Medani residents that they would carry out atrocities in their city as they did in the capital, Khartoum, and Darfur. The U.N. and rights groups have accused the RSF of atrocities in Darfur, which was the scene of a genocidal campaign in the early 2000s.
The RSF grew out of the state-backed Arab militias known as Janjaweed, which were accused of widespread killings, rapes and other atrocities in the Darfur conflict.
Ahmed Tag el-Sir, a father of three, fled along with his family to the neighboring province of al-Qadarif after the RSF rampaged through their village of al-Sharfa Barakar north of Wad Medani.
“They shelled the village and took over residents’ homes, like they did in Darfur,” the man said from a relative’s house where he shelters along with two other families. “We fled out of fear of being killed or our women being raped by the Janjaweed.”
veryGood! (8823)
Related
- 'Most Whopper
- Orioles wonder what's next after another playoff flop against Royals in wild-card series
- Dockworkers’ union suspend strike until Jan. 15 to allow time to negotiate new contract
- Dodgers legend and broadcaster Fernando Valenzuela on leave to focus on health
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Who killed Cody Johnson? Parents demand answers in shooting of teen on Texas highway
- Sarah Paulson Reveals Whether She Gets Advice From Holland Taylor—And Her Answer Is Priceless
- Week 5 NFL fantasy running back rankings: Top RB streamers, starts
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Phillies vs. Mets schedule: 2024 NLDS is first postseason showdown between rivals
Ranking
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Man pleads not guilty to killing 3 family members in Vermont
- Advocates urge Ohio to restore voter registrations removed in apparent violation of federal law
- Garth Brooks Accused in Lawsuit of Raping Makeup Artist, Offering Threesome With Wife Trisha Yearwood
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Jobs report is likely to show another month of modest but steady hiring gains
- Catfish Host Kamie Crawford Leaving MTV Show After 6 Years
- International fiesta fills New Mexico’s sky with colorful hot air balloons
Recommendation
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
Twin babies who died alongside their mother in Georgia are youngest-known Hurricane Helene victims
Ron Hale, retired 'General Hospital' soap opera star, dies at 78
Orioles wonder what's next after another playoff flop against Royals in wild-card series
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Ex-Houston officer rushed away in an ambulance during sentencing at double-murder trial
Anti-abortion leaders undeterred as Trump for the first time says he’d veto a federal abortion ban
Eminem Shares Touching Behind-the-Scenes Look at Daughter Hailie Jade's Wedding