Current:Home > InvestJohnathan Walker:Astronaut Frank Rubio marks 1 year in space after breaking US mission record -RiskWatch
Johnathan Walker:Astronaut Frank Rubio marks 1 year in space after breaking US mission record
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:58:22
After breaking the record earlier this month for the longest continuous amount of time spent in space by an American,Johnathan Walker NASA astronaut Frank Rubio on Thursday hit one year of orbiting Earth.
Rubio, 47, has been aboard the international Space Station with Russian cosmonauts Sergey Prokopyev and Dmitry Petelin since Sept. 21, 2022, in a mission that was only supposed to last six months when they traveled to the ISS aboard Russia's Soyuz MS-22 spacecraft.
However, in December 2022, the day a scheduled spacewalk was planned, an external leak was detected from the Russian spacecraft, later determined to have been caused by a micrometeorite impact.
MORE: NASA asks for help studying Uranus and Neptune as it prepares to capture new images
Because the spacecraft was unable to perform a crew return, the incident extended the three astronauts' stay for an additional six months. The Soyuz MS-22 returned to Earth uncrewed, and MS-23 was launched in February 2023 and docked at the ISS as a replacement for the crew's return later this month.
When Rubio and his two colleagues return to Earth on Sept. 27, landing in Kazakhstan, they will have spent 371 consecutive days in space. The current record for most consecutive days spent in space overall, with 437, belongs to Russian cosmonaut Valery Polyakov.
NASA congratulated Rubio in a post on the social media platform X on Thursday, writing, "Congratulations to NASA astronaut Frank Rubio for reaching one year on board the @Space_Station. On his first trip to space, Rubio has broken the record for the longest single spaceflight by an American astronaut in history."
Rubio broke the record on Sept. 11, surpassing the previous record of 355 consecutive days set by retired NASA astronaut Mark Vande Hei.
Over the year-long mission, Rubio and the other crew members have conducted numerous scientific experiments, including studying how bacteria adapt to spaceflight, using water-based and air-based techniques to grow tomatoes, and testing an expandable capsule for use in future space habitats.
During a media briefing on Tuesday, Rubio said if he had been asked beforehand to spend a full year in space, he would have likely said no.
"If they had asked me up front before training, because you do train for a year or two years for your mission, I probably would have declined," he said. "It would have hurt, but I would have declined and that's only because of family, things that were going on this past year."
MORE: New York to London in 90 minutes? NASA exploring passenger jet that could do it
"Had I known that I would have had to miss those very important events, I just would have had to say, 'Thank you, but no thank you,'" Rubio continued, adding that he was excited to see his wife and four children.
In an interview with "Good Morning America" last month, prior to breaking the record, Rubio said he would undergo a medical examination upon his return to Earth because many astronauts struggle to walk and stand upright after spending prolonged time in space.
"I'm not sure how it will be for me," Rubio told 'GMA." "I'm preparing for the fact that it might be a challenge, that it might take a couple of days before I'm somewhat normal, but the reality is it's going to take anywhere from two to six months of really intense rehab to get back to my normal, and that's just part of the process."
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Those who helped file voting fraud allegations are protected from suit, North Carolina justices say
- Birmingham-Southern baseball trying to keep on playing as school prepares to close
- 'The Masked Singer' winner Vanessa Hudgens reveals if she plans on returning to music
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Isla Fisher Seen Filming New Bridget Jones Movie Months After Announcing Sacha Baron Cohen Split
- 48-year-old gymnast Oksana Chusovitina won't make it to Paris for her ninth Olympics
- Pregnant Michigan Woman Saved After Jumping From 2-Story Window to Escape Fire
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- New Zealand man filmed trying to body slam killer whale in shocking and stupid incident
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Prosecutors appeal dismissal of some charges against Trump in Georgia election interference case
- NOAA 2024 hurricane season forecast warns of more storms than ever. Here's why.
- Serena Williams Shares Clothing Fail Amid Postpartum Weight Loss Journey
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- The doomsday glacier is undergoing vigorous ice melt that could reshape sea level rise projections
- Dashcam video shows Scottie Scheffler's arrest; officials say detective who detained golf star violated bodycam policy
- Why Kim Kardashian Is Feuding With “Miserable” Khloe Kardashian
Recommendation
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
AP Week in Pictures: North America
Eddie Murphy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt team up in new trailer for 'Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F'
NBA great Dwyane Wade launches Translatable, an online community supporting transgender youth
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
Most Jersey Shore beaches are in good shape as summer starts, but serious erosion a problem in spots
Political consultant behind fake Biden robocalls faces $6 million fine and criminal charges
Trump aide Walt Nauta front and center during contentious hearing in classified documents case