Current:Home > StocksSean 'Diddy' Combs, Cassie settle bombshell lawsuit alleging rape, abuse, sex trafficking -RiskWatch
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, Cassie settle bombshell lawsuit alleging rape, abuse, sex trafficking
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 18:46:10
Diddy and Cassie have reached a settlement, one day after the singer accused the music mogul of rape, sex trafficking and physical abuse in a lawsuit.
The parties said Friday that a resolution had been reached in the case in a release sent by attorney Douglas Wigdor; they did not disclose a settlement amount. Casandra Ventura, known professionally as singer Cassie, filed a sex trafficking and sexual assault lawsuit Thursday against ex-boyfriend Sean "Diddy" Combs in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, according to court documents obtained by USA TODAY.
In a statement Friday, Cassie said, "I have decided to resolve this matter amicably on terms that I have some level of control. I want to thank my family, fans and lawyers for their unwavering support."
"We have decided to resolve this matter amicably. I wish Cassie and her family all the best," Combs said in a separate statement. "Love."
The suit, which named Combs and his companies including Bad Boy Entertainment, Bad Boy Records, Combs Enterprises, LLC, and Epic Records, sought unspecified monetary damages.
The lawsuit alleges that Cassie, who began a professional and sexual relationship with the rap mogul when she was 19, was trafficked, raped and viciously beat by Combs over the course of a decade.
"After years in silence and darkness, I am finally ready to tell my story, and to speak up on behalf of myself and for the benefit of other women who face violence and abuse in their relationships," Cassie said in a statement Thursday. "With the expiration of New York's Adult Survivors Act fast approaching, it became clear that this was an opportunity to speak up about the trauma I have experienced and that I will be recovering from for the rest of my life."
Inside the lawsuit:Sean 'Diddy' Combs accused by Cassie of sex trafficking, rape and physical abuse in lawsuit
In a statement provided Thursday to USA TODAY, Combs denied Cassie's "offensive and outrageous" allegations and accused his ex of extortion.
"For the past six months, Mr. Combs has been subjected to Ms. Ventura's persistent demand of $30 million, under the threat of writing a damaging book about their relationship, which was unequivocally rejected as blatant blackmail," the statement read. "Despite withdrawing her initial threat, Ms. Ventura has now resorted to filing a lawsuit riddled with baseless and outrageous lies, aiming to tarnish Mr. Combs' reputation and seeking a pay day."
The settlement avoids the potential of a trial for both Combs and Ventura, who could have faced a public process of legal discovery and cross-examination in the courtroom.
Wigdor, Ventura's lawyer, "commended" his client for coming forward with her claims. "I am very proud of Ms. Ventura for having the strength to go public with her lawsuit," he said Friday in a statement.
Ben Brafman, Combs' lawyer, added Saturday in a statement to USA TODAY: "Just so we're clear, a decision to settle a lawsuit, especially in 2023, is in no way an admission of wrongdoing. Mr. Combs' decision to settle the lawsuit does not in any way undermine his flat-out denial of the claims. He is happy they got to a mutual settlement and wishes Ms. Ventura the best."
Cassie details rape, abuse in lawsuit against ex Diddy
Cassie met a then-37-year-old Combs in 2005 after the rap mogul became interested in signing her to Bad Boy Records. After being lured into an "ostentatious, fast-paced and drug-fueled lifestyle" and a romantic relationship with Combs, Cassie alleges in the lawsuit that Combs "took control" of her life – ranging from her healthcare to her career opportunities – and plied her with drugs and alcohol.
The complaint alleges Combs also forced Cassie into "repeated unwanted sexual encounters" with male prostitutes who he hired and recorded their encounters. Despite her efforts to escape Combs' abuse, Cassie was repeatedly tracked down by Combs' "vast network of corporations and affiliated entities" and compelled to return to him, per the singer's filing. She also alleges Combs was "prone to uncontrollable rage and frequently beat" and kicked her, leaving her with bruises and emotional scarring that she says led to "intensive medical and psychological care."
Following "concerted efforts" to break away from the relationship, Cassie joined Combs for dinner at an Italian restaurant in Malibu, California, in September 2018, according to the lawsuit. The singer was under the impression they would be having "a discussion about concluding their relationship for good."
After the encounter, Cassie alleges Combs forced her into her apartment and tried to kiss her. Despite his sexual advances being denied, Combs then proceeded to rape her.
Combs and Cassie began dating in 2007 and had an on-and-off relationship for more than a decade.
She became known for the Ryan Leslie-produced hit single "Me & U," which secured the No. 1 spot on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart in 2006. The song was the lead single off her only studio album, which was self-titled.
Combs built one of hip-hop's biggest empires, blazing a trail with several entities attached to his famous name. He is the founder of Bad Boy Records and a three-time Grammy winner who has worked with a slew of top-tier artists including Notorious B.I.G., Mary J. Blige, Usher, Lil Kim, Faith Evans and 112.
NYPD deny criminal investigation into Diddy
The New York Police Department denied an active criminal investigation into Combs in a statement from the department’s deputy commissioner public information spokesperson to USA TODAY on Friday.
"There is no such investigation, at present. The NYPD always treats allegations of sexual assault and rape extremely seriously, and urges anyone who has been a victim to file a police report so that support and services can be offered to survivors and a comprehensive investigation can be conducted."
Danity Kane members support Cassie on social media
Cassie's former Bad Boy Records labelmates D. Woods, Dawn Richard and Aubrey O'Day, of the R&B group Danity Kane, came out in support of the singer amid her accusations against Combs.
O'Day, who was part of the group formed on MTV's "Making the Band" series in 2005 by Combs, wrote on her Instagram stories, and later X, formerly Twitter, that she's been "trying to tell y'all."
On X, Richard wrote that she is praying for "peace and healing" for Cassie, calling her "brave."
D. Woods followed with her own Instagram post, which read: "Self worth, peace of mind and the right to speak your TRUTH... Cassie @cassie you are incredibly brave to shine light on what you endured in the dark. I'm sorry you had to go through it alone. (I'm) praying for your continued strength and I offer my full support to you."
If you are a survivor of sexual assault, RAINN offers support through the National Sexual Assault Hotline (800.656.HOPE & online.rainn.org).
If you are a victim of domestic violence, The National Domestic Violence Hotline (thehotline.org) allows you to speak confidentially with trained advocates online or by the phone, which they recommend for those who think their online activity is being monitored by their abuser (800-799-7233). They can help survivors develop a plan to achieve safety for themselves and their children.
Contributing: Edward Segarra
veryGood! (3)
Related
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Hundreds evacuated after teen girl sets fire to hotel sofa following fight with mom
- What to know about 'Napoleon,' Ridley Scott's epic starring Joaquin Phoenix as French commander
- Check Out the Best Men's Deals at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale on Clothing, Grooming, Shoes & More
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- 6 injured as crane partially collapses in midtown Manhattan
- NatWest Bank CEO ousted after furor over politician Nigel Farage’s bank account
- Lionel Messi shines again in first Inter Miami start, scores twice in 4-0 win over Atlanta
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Oil from FSO Safer supertanker decaying off Yemen's coast finally being pumped onto another ship
Ranking
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- House Oversight Committee set to hold UFO hearing
- Someone could steal your medical records and bill you for their care
- Vanderpump Rules’ Ariana Madix Makes Dig at Ex Tom Sandoval on Love Island USA
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- UPS, Teamsters reach agreement after threats of a strike: Here's what workers are getting
- Bryan Cranston slams artificial intelligence during SAG-AFTRA rally: 'We ask you to hear us'
- Biden’s dog Commander has bitten Secret Service officers 10 times in four months, records show
Recommendation
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
The heat island effect traps cities in domes of extreme temperatures. Experts only expect it to get worse.
Hunter Biden’s guilty plea is on the horizon, and so are a fresh set of challenges
'Haunted Mansion' review: Don't expect a ton of chills in Disney's safe ghost ride
2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
Taliban orders beauty salons in Afghanistan to close despite UN concern and rare public protest
Wildfires that killed at least 34 in Algeria are now 80% extinguished, officials say
A man tried to sail from California to Mexico. He was rescued, but abandoned boat drifted to Hawaii