Current:Home > ScamsA top French TV personality receives a preliminary charge of rape and abusing authority -RiskWatch
A top French TV personality receives a preliminary charge of rape and abusing authority
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 16:34:22
PARIS (AP) — France’s most famous TV presenter has been handed a preliminary charge of rape by a person abusing his authority as authorities investigate complaints by about 20 women who have accused him of sexual misconduct over decades.
Patrick Poivre d’Arvor denies wrongdoing, and has sued 16 of his accusers. A revered personality who hosted France’s most popular news program for more than two decades, he insists the sexual encounters were consensual.
The prosecutor’s office in the Paris suburb of Nanterre said Wednesday that Poivre d’Arvor was given preliminary charges of rape by a person abusing his authority for alleged actions dating from 2009. He was also named as an ‘’assisted witness’’ in another alleged rape from 2004.
Both incidents involved author Florence Porcel, who filed legal complaints in 2021. The Associated Press generally does not identify those who say they have been victims of sexual wrongdoing, except when they publicly identify themselves.
Under French law, preliminary charges mean magistrates have strong reason to suspect wrongdoing but allow time for further investigation before deciding whether to send a case to trial. The ‘’assisted witness’’ status also allows time for further investigation that could lead to eventual charges or to a case being dropped.
The Nanterre prosecutor’s office said it opened two preliminary investigations in 2021 into numerous accusations against Poivre d’Arvor, including Porcel’s. One investigation, involving complaints by about 20 women, was closed and the other is ongoing, the prosecutor’s office said in a statement to the AP.
Poivre d’Arvor’s lawyers said in a statement published online that he ‘’firmly contests the facts alleged by Madame Porcel, as he has since the first day, and has provided numerous elements of material evidence.’’
Lawyers Jacqueline Laffont and Julie Benedetti noted that prosecutors recommended dropping the case, but the investigating judges unusually filed the charge anyway.
Poivre d’Arvor was the star presenter of French TV network TF1’s evening newscast between 1987 and 2008, making him one of the most famous people in France, where he is widely known as just “PPDA.” An author, he also used to anchor a prestigious TV literary program.
Soon after Porcel’s complaint, Poivre d’Arvor acknowledged in an interview with TV channel TMC “small kisses in the neck, sometimes small compliments or sometimes some charm or seduction” — acts he said younger generations no longer accepted.
Dozens of women have spoken out in recent years to accuse Poivre d’Arvor of rape, sexual abuse or harassment from 1981 to 2018. Most accusations are now too old to prosecute.
Some of the women welcomed the announcement of the rape charge.
‘’Finally!’' posted author Helene Devynck, who published a book last year titled ‘’Impunity’’ that includes interviews with some 60 women who accused Poivre d’Arvor of sexual wrongdoing. Devynck’s book denounced France’s historically lax attitude toward sexual abuse allegations and the limited impact in France of the global #MeToo movement.
One of France’s biggest film stars, Gerard Depardieu, also is under renewed scrutiny for his behavior toward women after a recent documentary showed him repeatedly making obscene remarks and gestures during a 2018 trip to North Korea.
Depardieu was handed preliminary charges of rape and sexual assault in 2020. The France-2 documentary says 16 women have accused him of harassing, groping or sexually assaulting them. Depardieu denies wrongdoing.
veryGood! (9552)
Related
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Former first-round NBA draft pick is sentenced to 10 years in prison in $4M health care fraud
- New initiative aims to recover hidden history of enslaved African Americans
- MLB's top prospect Jackson Holliday is putting on a show – and is hyped for Orioles' future
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- North Carolina Rep. Manning’s office says she has broken sternum after three-vehicle wreck
- Ireland Baldwin's Honest Take on Breastfeeding Will Make You Feel Less Alone
- Biden’s inaction on death penalty may be a top campaign issue as Trump and DeSantis laud executions
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Underwhelming U.S. team slumps into Women’s World Cup knockout game against familiar foe
Ranking
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Don't overbuy: Here are items you don't need for your college dorm room
- Mega Millions players will have another chance on Friday night to win a $1.25 billion jackpot
- Former City College professor charged with raping multiple victims from El Salvador, prosecutors say
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- A crash involving a freight train and a car kills 3 people in Oregon
- Shortness of breath can be a scary thing. How to tell if anxiety is to blame.
- Lawyer for Bryan Kohberger says he was driving alone night of murders
Recommendation
Average rate on 30
California judge arrested in connection with wife’s killing
Extreme heat has caused several hiking deaths this summer. Here's how to stay safe.
LA's plan to solve homelessness has moved thousands off the streets. But is it working?
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Hugh Hefner's Wife Crystal Hefner Is Ready to Tell Hard Stories From Life in Playboy Mansion
James Barnes, Florida man who dropped appeals, executed for 1988 hammer killing of nurse
Houston volunteer found not guilty for feeding the homeless. Now he's suing the city.