Current:Home > MyChainkeen|The first Titanic voyage in 14 years is happening in the wake of submersible tragedy. Hopes are high -RiskWatch
Chainkeen|The first Titanic voyage in 14 years is happening in the wake of submersible tragedy. Hopes are high
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 12:26:13
PORTLAND,Chainkeen Maine (AP) — The company that owns the salvage rights to the Titanic is undertaking its first expedition to the ship’s wreckage in years, and those involved in the mission said they have both heavy hearts and lofty goals for a trip happening a year after a submersible disaster involving another firm killed five people.
RMS Titanic Inc., a Georgia-based firm, holds the legal rights to salvage the wreck of the ship, which sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in 1912. The company’s first expedition to the site since 2010 launched Friday from Providence, Rhode Island.
The voyage arrives as the worldwide community of undersea explorers is still reeling from the deadly implosion of an experimental submersible en route to the Titanic in June 2023. The Titan submersible disaster killed all five people on board, including Paul-Henri Nargeolet, who was director of underwater research for RMS Titanic.
This summer’s mission to the Titanic “means even more with the passing” of Nargeolet, known as “Mr. Titanic” by many, RMST Inc. president Jessica Sanders said.
The expedition will use modern imaging technology and remotely operated vehicles to capture detailed images of the Titanic, the wreckage site and the debris field, RMST Inc. representatives said.
“This monumental undertaking will allow us to document the Titanic in unprecedented detail and share new discoveries from the wreck site with the public, continuing the extraordinary work and passion of PH,” Sanders said.
The ship headed to the site, the Dino Chouest, will take several days to reach the site and is slated to return around Aug. 13, said Jon Hammond, a spokesperson for RMST Inc.
The work will allow the company to provide a comprehensive analysis of the current condition of the Titanic wreckage site and a detailed assessment of artifacts that can be safely targeted for future recovery, RMST Inc. representatives said.
Nargeolet made more than 35 dives to the Titanic in his lifetime. The implosion also killed Titan operator Stockton Rush; two members of a prominent Pakistani family, Shahzada Dawood and his 19-year-old son Suleman Dawood; and British adventurer Hamish Harding.
OceanGate, a company co-founded by Rush that owned the submersible, suspended operations a year ago. The U.S. Coast Guard convened a high-level investigation into what happened, but it has taken longer than expected and it’s unclear when the investigation will conclude.
Undersea explorers are waiting to learn the results of the investigation and RMST Inc.'s trip to the Titanic site is an important milestone in the site’s exploration, said Katy Croff Bell, founder of the Ocean Discovery League.
“The Coast Guard investigation is still ongoing and they have not released their results yet, so the final chapter in this episode has yet to come out,” Bell said. “One thing that has come out is there is perhaps more interest.”
This month’s journey to the Titanic also will allow comparison to 2010 imaging, RMST Inc. representatives said. The mission also may result in discovery of new areas of the debris field, previously unknown marine life and new areas of deterioration that could provide unobstructed access to the interior of the ship, the company stated on its website.
The vessel making the trip is equipped with two remotely operated vehicles that will be used to capture the first end-to-end mapping image of the wreck field and debris site, RMST Inc. said.
The expedition will include “the highest resolution camera systems ever deployed at the site in an effort to bring new insights about the ship to the community,” said Evan Kovacs, an underwater cinematographer working on the mission.
veryGood! (3145)
Related
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- What grade do the Padres get on their Juan Soto trades?
- A Netherlands court sets a sentencing date for a man convicted in Canada of cyberbullying
- Russian lawmakers set presidential vote for March 17, 2024, clearing a path for Putin’s 5th term
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Senators probe private equity hospital deals following CBS News investigation
- Vegas shooter who killed 3 was a professor who recently applied for a job at UNLV, AP source says
- Jamie Dimon on the cryptocurrency industry: I'd close it down
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day: Historical photos show the Dec. 7, 1941 attack in Hawaii
Ranking
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Who are the starting quarterbacks for New England Patriots vs. Pittsburgh Steelers?
- A Danish court orders a British financier to remain in pre-trial custody on tax fraud
- A pregnant Texas woman is asking a court to let her have an abortion under exceptions to state’s ban
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Jamie Dimon on the cryptocurrency industry: I'd close it down
- Helicopter with 5 senior military officials from Guyana goes missing near border with Venezuela
- Jill Biden and military kids sort toys the White House donated to the Marine Corps Reserve program
Recommendation
Trump's 'stop
Hanukkah Lights 2023
Need an Ugly Christmas Sweater Stat? These 30 Styles Ship Fast in Time for Last-Minute Holiday Parties
U.S. sanctions money lending network to Houthi rebels in Yemen, tied to Iranian oil sales
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
Denmark’s parliament adopts a law making it illegal to burn the Quran or other religious texts
Lithuania’s President Gitanas Nauseda says he’ll seek reelection in 2024 for another 5-year term
Centenarian survivors of Pearl Harbor attack are returning to honor those who perished 82 years ago